Thursday, April 23, 2009

I'm not unfaithful but I'll stray...

...when I get a little scared.

Lady and I had one of those stirrings of an indepth conversation. It started with the quote "Being born is the first step towards death."
It was explained to me as once you're born, that's it. You are closer to death then before, and it's the first basic step we have in life - basically because it's a step you can't take back. (Really though, who hasn't had moments when you wish you could just hop back in to that squishy waterbed where you hear but don't need to see... yeah, right, me either!!)
It quickly twisted into a conversation of why we are here and if there is a God, then what purpose do we have. Do we have a purpose as a whole or as individuals? With Lady it's almost like being back in J2 convo-café with all the doubt and questions she has about God. (sidenote- I think that may contribute to why I'm here, her questions are so similiar to those I've had as a counsellor that I have appropriate answers that get those gears grinding and pump out more questions.
My answer was quite simple. Every here has their time on earth, no matter how lengthy or limited it may be. Each generation brings something completely different to the world and helps it evolve in some way. Some generations have produced some quality things, others produced some not so great, but equally important. It's working together as a generation, along side working as an individual. Everyone has qualities  and traits and talents about them that contribute in some way. Some will do great things, some will assist those doing great things (not to ignore their contributions, we need these people to challenge and motivate and inevitably those things we consider to be great could not happen without these people) and sometimes we have those that feel like they do nothing spectacular or feel like nothing they are doing is noteworthy, but infact, these people are touching lives, touching hearts, and being a support system. Infact, one person could do all these things, it just depends on the relationships of the people we have in our lives. I truly believe that each and every person has what it takes to do something huge and great, sometimes we opt to do things on a smaller scale. It all depends on the drive we have, and the personality we have. 

Taking this back to God, we all have our individual purposes, but we roll with our groups, our generations. Sometimes I think that's why we have such culture shocks and differences between generations. Really how many of us have heard multiple times "In my day..." by a grandmother or even a parent. It's hard to consider a world without mobiles/cell phones, computers, television. The day that the wheel was invented... Imagine not having cars, trucks, or even bicycles?! It's such a hard thought to process. God gave us the ability to imagine and create. The ability to find the resources, do the research and make our contributions. It's up to us to decipher what our contribution will be, and how far along on the 'great' scale it should be. 
I don't know about the rest of the people in my generation, but to me, putting a man on the moon, yeah right- no big deal, it's been done. But there was a time when it hadn't and it was considered one of the worlds biggest accomplishments, we established a solar system, and now there's trips to mars, movies about trips to the sun (where pretty much all of them die and turn to dust, not cryptic at all!! Thanks Jay!) but even to have the facts and the numbers to make these movies realistic are a huge accomplishment. To me though, it's all yeah - it's a movie. whatever. 
I'm excited to see and figure what I can do on a grand scale because I've recognized SOME things (I'm not THAT into myself guys) that I have done on a small scale, and lives I believe I have touched in a positive (not dirty) way. Of course there are those that could probably have done without having me in their lives (who doesn't have complicated back stories about exs) but at the time, they were all positive. I also challenge you, young or older (see didn't say old.. thanks, you can mail my cheques to my mother and she'll see it gets to me), big or small, gray or bald, blue or yellow and whatever else, to consider doing something on a slightly larger scale then what you are accustomed to.. Unless you're Barack Obama, I think you've pretty much hit the jackpot on the large scale thing, but still you haven't hit the sky yet dude, (don't ask, I like to think he reads my blog, because really, why not!) But in all seriousness, push yourself out of your comfort zone.. dip a toe into the borders of comfortable and panic zone, see what happens. I bet you surprise yourself a little bit!!

The other thing that's been on my mind currently is equality. Obviously brought on by this stupid Miss USA pageant person issue. If you haven't seen it, I urge you too. When asked if her state should support same sex marriages she used her upbringing, God's teachings, and her personal beliefs to unproffesionally shut down the idea. I'm not saying you can't be against it, because we all know a lot of people are. There are socially acceptable ways of addressing this issue. The phrase "equality for all" is used so much in our society. The thing I'm thinking is how many people truly believe this and stand by it. If you are homophobic, you can't say you believe in that. If you are racist you can't say you believe that. If you are sexist, and whatever condemning ists there are, you can't say you believe it. 

Here's a good thought for the day. STOP USING GOD AS A REASON FOR NOT ALLOWING SAME SEX MARRIAGES. Yes, God intended for a man and a woman to love one another. Yes he intending a man and a woman to marry. Yes he intended a man and a woman to make babies. Okay, we've done this for years. We've also lied, stole, physically hurt one another, abused our rights, and whatever else. Name it, some one has done it (Including beastiality however you spell it, and no I haven't for the record.. just putting that into the universe and I'm not judging anyone who has). 
Digressing now.
God has had expectations for humans from even before we were created. Adam and Eve broke the rules and gave us a world where we are aware of right and wrong. BUT he did NOT give us the right to decide what is wrong. People are people. We have the option of repenting, we have the option of following Gods will, we DO NOT have the right to judge one another. The judging is up to God. What does it matter what someone else is doing or who they are loving? Maybe we should all focus on ourselves and work on making ourselves better people. Also, if you take a gander into the trusty bible you will see a little thing (I use the term 'little' extremely loosely) "Love thy neighbour" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <- that's me stressing a point, incase you weren't aware.
It does not, however, specify that a neighbour refers to someone on the same block, same city, same country, same continent. I always got the impression that neighbour in this case, means anyone and everyone you meet or you don't meet. Hey that means each and every person in the world. Go figure!!
So even though same sex marriages may or may not mean sinning, it's not up to us to call people out on it or opress them, because that's sinning as well.. Sinning is sinning whether it be murder or stealing a dollar.. or pound. Because I'm in England. 
Let's focus on ourselves for a while guys. It doesn't have to make you comfortable, if you have other reasons for your beliefs thats rad, I'm not judging (although it sounds like I am, doesn't it?) I'm simply stating that using God as a reason to forbid it is an unfair fight, that if you try to use with me, will get shut dowwwwn!

Back to the Miss USA lady, I've always thought that Miss USA is supposed to inspire and smile. Why didn't you just smile? There is an ability to answer a question politically while being true to your own beliefs. Yeah, she made a mistake, but I believe she IS suffering already for her slip up. So fair play. 

So, there's my quick light read ahaha, I really hope you take a moment to let everything sink in and consider what you can do, and how you are justifying your beliefs, and under what context.
Cheers mates. 
xxo

p.s- if you're wondering about the titles of my posts and sometimes the line that comes after it on the blog, simply copy and paste into google search with a comma and then type lyrics, and you will have a great new song to listen to. I recommend each and every one. The one from today is Back in your head By Tegan and Sara. It'll save you a trip to google, but have a listen on youtube, and share with friends!! (That's only if you share my taste in music, aka good taste, oh look at that, apparently I haven't read anything on this post ahahah!! Enjoy!)

1 comment:

Jay said...

The more ideas this blog the more impressed I am and then I mutter to myself, "who is this woman? WOW!