Saturday, February 7, 2009

.I'm bluffin' with my muffin.

Exciting day so far!
I don't work on the weekends, so I was given this weekend off, even though I haven't done much work yet!!
Today I woke up and decided to venture into the village!!
It's an adorable little place and I had Beauty and the Beast playing on repeat in my head while going through it "Little town, it's a quiet village, everyday like the one before, little town full of little people.." 
I past a 'Copper' on a horse, who was kind of stuck there because the horse was hungry. 5ish minutes later entered the town of Eardisland! There isn't a whole lot there, but definitely interesting people!! My first stop was the Tea Room, which has a little shop attached to a B&B (where if you are coming to visit is only 24 pounds a night). There I met Kathleen and Harry. Very nice older couple, possibly in their 50's? They gave me the name and number of a lady who is quite a bit older then them and her daughter lives in Canada, so they figured I would have a lot to talk with her about. She apparently has had numerous back surgeries and isn't able to get out much so I think I may pay her a visit sometime soon! Kathleen is getting Harry to print out a bus schedule for me, which is incredibly nice, I was definitely touched by their kindness!!
I stayed for about an hour and chatted. Next stop was the Church if England. It is surrounded by a cemetary, and gorgeous trees! The door was unlocked like Kathleen said it would be, but there was no one in there and I felt like I was commiting a b&e so I took a few pictures, a look around and then bounced. I read a bit of the stones in the cemetary and most are from early 1900's, one was from 1700. That creeped me out a bit. 
My next stop was the Cross Pub. I went in for a beer and to have a look around. I ended up getting a local beer, wasn't the greatest but it was a good convo starter for the owners of the pub, Jan and Richard! They were amazing. Richard used to date a lady ages ago from Quebec so he had some interesting stories about Canada!! He said out of everywhere he's been he's never met any other humans like Canadians. I was pleased to hear that. He also said if I go to France to expect them to be more rude then the English. So far I haven't met a rude Brit. but I assume the time will come! He introduced me to a bunch of the men in the pub and their children. I was asked to say 'house' and 'out' a lot. One man kept talking to me and I had NO idea what he was saying until he finally clued in that I'm not English and couldn't stop apologizing ahah. That was pretty rad! 
I told Richard and Jan that I'm here until probably August but going home in June and they kept saying that they love all things Canadian so mental note: bring back Maple Syrup ahaha.
Didn't see much of the kids yet. Met my lady's parents today and her hubbys parents. Lots of people drop by for tea!
Tonight for dinner is curry but she promised a mild one for me ahah. I'm such a pansy!
Right now everyone is watching the England vs Italy Rugby match. They invited me to join, but it's quite heated apparently, though it just started 30 minutes ago!! I'm a little afraid to go downstairs because of all the yelling and swearing!! ahaha. I should go watch though. I've never seen a 'proper' rugby match!
Also, the sun was out today! At one point I was in a t-shirt!! I took my jacket to town though, which was a good idea because it started drizzling a bit, and got a bit cloudy. But no one really wants to hear about the weather!! ahah
Pictures are on facebook of the village and the outside of the house. Interior comes later, just want permission before I post those!!
Peace out homeskillets xxo

No comments: